Understanding Your Medical Coverage

If you’re enrolled in the Walgreens medical plan administered by UnitedHealthcare, many preventive care services—including routine annual physical exams, certain immunizations and health screening tests (all subject to age and gender guidelines)—are covered 100%* when you see your network primary care physician (PCP). For everything else, you pay for care in three steps:

  1. You pay your deductible. You pay the full cost for medical and pharmacy expenses until you reach your deductible amount. Once you’ve reached that amount, the plan begins to pay.
  2. You share expenses with the plan. This is called coinsurance. After you meet your deductible, the plan pays 80% of covered network medical and pharmacy eligible expenses. You pay the remaining 20%. If you go out of network, you will not be covered.
  3. You’re protected by an out-of-pocket maximum. Your plan includes an annual limit on the amount you’ll have to pay each year for eligible covered expenses. Once you reach this amount, the plan pays 100% of eligible expenses for the rest of the calendar year.

Want help to try to keep your costs down?

Tier 1 providers are doctors, hospitals and other health care providers who may offer you the greatest value for your health care benefits. You want to select Tier 1 doctors and hospitals if you live in an area where they are available.  If Tier 1 doctors are not available, choose doctors, pharmacies and hospitals in the UHC network, for a lower coinsurance.  It’s important to choose a Tier 1 or network doctor, as services received by out of network providers are not covered under your medical plan.

Learn more about your medical benefits at myuhc.com. You can even use the health care cost estimator to estimate costs based on your specific doctor, clinic, hospital and health plan.

UnitedHealthcare Care Connect Advisors are available to help you locate a doctor or Tier 1 provider, or help to estimate costs if for using a Tier 2 provider.

*Claim must be processed as preventive to receive the preventive care coverage.